How to make natural, effective mosquito repellent.
Using Essential Oils
- *Citronella oil – a mixed solution using 10% citronella oil was shown to be effective for 12 hours. You can purchase the oil at a health food store or in some grocery stores.
- * Neem oil – from the pressed fruits and seeds of an evergreen tree from India has had mixed results. Some have found a 2% solution mix to be effective for 4 hours.
- *Thyme oil – has been showned to be effective 80% of the time but only for short durations (2 hours). A 10% solution mix is recommended.
- * Peppermint oil – offers a 100% success rate for about an hour.
- *Turmeric – has a 100% efficacy for up to 4 hours. It is pungent though.
How to Create an Oil Spray
Use any of the oils suggested above and mix with water in a spray bottle (you can add a few drops of fragrant oil as well). Use about 2 Tablespoons of oil for every cup of water. Try adding imitation vanilla extract to the mixture as it can act as a fixative prolonging the oil’s potency. You can use more essential oil but never more than 4 Tablespoons per cup of water.
Post your finished product on our facebook and let us know if it worked for you!